Physiotherapists are experts in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety of injuries and physical conditions.
They look at the entire person with the aim of alleviating pain, restoring normal movement and providing long term solutions to musculoskeletal problems.
Furthermore at The Physio Clinic here in Bristol, we believe in getting the patient back to full function, meeting and exceeding patients’ goals through rehabilitation and preventative exercise prescription.
Your initial session is typically a 45-60 minute consultation involving both assessment and treatment.
- A full history of your problem and a medical history is taken and documented.
- A physical examination of the area involved is performed.
Please note that you may be required to undress sufficiently for your physiotherapist to properly assess the area. Furthermore it is often necessary to assess areas surrounding the primary source of a complaint. Please wear or bring along suitable clothing to assist in this matter.
- Following your assessment an explanation of your problem will be given.
- Your treatment options and a treatment plan will then be discussed with you and agreed.
- Your treatment will then commence on your initial appointment.
- Should physiotherapy be inappropriate or your physiotherapist feel further investigation is required they will inform you of the best course of action and if necessary arrange onward referral.
Please feel free to bring a partner or friend along to accompany or chaperone you during your visits.
Follow up treatments are typically 30 minutes long although extended sessions are available if needed. The number of treatments you require will depend on your condition and your physiotherapist will discuss this at your initial appointment. We will always tell you what the optimum or most appropriate course of treatment is based on current evidence and research.
The clinic has a strong emphasis towards manual therapy and hands on treatment. This is combined with structured exercises and practical advice. We also use a range of other treatment modalities including:
- Kinesiology tape